Instructions for Authors
Preparation of Manuscripts
Authors of accepted abstracts should prepare camera-ready papers in accordance with the instructions given below. These must be read very carefully before commencing the writing of the paper. Author Instructions have been provided by the publisher of the Proceedings, CRC Press/Balkema (Taylor & Francis Group), and these must be strictly complied with in order to ensure uniformity and consistency in the quality of the Proceedings.
All papers must be prepared in two versions:
• The full paper with a maximum length of 6 pages
• A short paper of length 2 pages (summary of the full paper)
Papers exceeding the allocated limits will be returned to the Authors for shortening. The short papers will be published in hard-copy form within a hard-bound printed book; the full-length papers will be published on CD-ROM.
Both the full paper and the short paper must be prepared in accordance with the prescribed formatting and layout instructions, and must have the same title and the same authors. Both must be laid out in 2 columns.
The following documents are provided in order to assist with the preparation and layout of the papers (these may be downloaded via the links given below): (i) the CRC Press/Balkema Read-Me file (this must be read first); (ii) detailed instructions for preparing manuscripts; (iii) templates for the layout of text on A4 and US-Letter page sizes; (iv) sample paper layouts on A4 and US-Letter pages; (v) artwork instructions. Authors will also need to complete and submit a copyright transfer form (also available via the links given below).
The attention of Authors is particularly drawn to the correct overall appearance of the manuscripts:
• For the full paper, the abstract must be laid out in one column across the full width of the page, while the rest of the text of the paper after this must be laid out in two columns, with the typesetting on the last page adjusted to make the two columns of equal depth. The total length of the full paper must not exceed six pages, and must not be less than four pages.
• The short paper must also be laid out in the same way (abstract across the full page width and text below in two columns), and be structured into small sections under appropriate subheadings, as a self-contained summary of the full paper. It must have its own abstract (which may be shorter than the abstract of the full paper), and feature a few selected references (typically 2 to 5). The short paper may include selected figures and tables.
• The short paper will need to fill the allocated 2 pages in full; short papers which are less than 2 pages will not be accepted, and short papers which exceed 2 pages will also not be accepted.
The sample paper (see links below) shows what the finished full and short paper should generally look like. Authors should note that although the sample paper of the publisher (which is provided for all conferences) is 4 pages long, the SEMC 2016 conference specifically requires full papers to be a maximum of 6 pages and short papers to be exactly 2 pages.
Manuscript-Preparation Documents & Copyright Form:
CRC Press/Balkema Read-Me File
Detailed Instructions for Preparing Manuscripts
Sample Paper – A4 Page Size
Template – A4 Page Size
Sample Paper – US Letter Page Size
Template – US Letter Page Size
Copyright Transfer Form
The above documents are also available via the CRC Press/Balkema website: http://www.balkema.nl
On the CRC Press/Balkema homepage, you will see “Author Instructions Conference Proceedings”. A number of events are listed under Conferences. Click on 6th International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation (SEMC 2016). This opens a folder with all the relevant files you need to prepare your paper for SEMC 2016 (including additional files with instructions for LaTex users).
For technical queries on the formatting and layout of the paper, Authors may contact Lukas Goosen at Taylor & Francis/Balkema: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission of Manuscripts
The deadline for submission of camera-ready papers is 1 March 2016 (extended to 22 March 2016). The following 3 items must be submitted (as 5 files) via the online submission system:
• The Full Paper as an MS Word file and a PDF (2 files)
• The Short Paper as an MS Word file and a PDF (2 files)
• The completed Copyright Transfer Form as a PDF (1 file)
The link for accessing the online submission system will be given to the Corresponding Author via the email of notification of acceptance of the abstract. Once you are through, you need to complete the cover details for your submission, which include the full title of the paper, the reference number of the paper as given by the editor, the name and email address of the corresponding author, the names and email addresses of all co-authors (if applicable), the name and affiliation of the author who will present the paper, and six keywords of the paper. After entering this information, you may then upload the required 5 files, and then click the SUBMIT button to submit everything. The system will immediately send you an automatic confirmation that the submission has gone through. Once your documents have been checked by the editor, you will receive a formal email acknowledgement of the submission (please allow up to 7 days for this).